I had a leaky / burst water line. What do I do now?

Broken, leaky or burst water lines are a very common occurrence in a business or house. This kind of damage generally is covered under most insurance policies, but you should not assume. Because insurance is a for profit industry trusting your insurance company is not recommended. Public insurance adjusters are trained and educated in the same way as the adjusters who your insurance companies hire.

My appliance flooded my house. What do I do now?

Any water that escapes your appliance, so your dishwasher, ice maker, refrigerator, washing machine, or air conditioner will be covered by your insurance with the right endorsements. Let me clear this up further. The actual cause of damage might not be covered like a hot water heater itself but the water damages would be. 

My water line exploded and flooded my property. What do I do now?

Water that escapes from a plumbing fixture like a burst supply line feeding your sinks, toilets  washing machine, dishwasher and ice maker are covered with the right endorsements.

What will my insurance pay for after a water loss?

Pex or copper plumbing lines in the walls ceilings and concrete slab is also covered with the right endorsements. In this example your insurance will pay to replace drywall, flooring, cabinets, digging under the structure and even breaking the concrete slab. The insurance will not pay for the actual part which broke. This cost is generally minimum. Make sure to take pictures, save receipts for parts you buy or the use of a plumber.

What do I do to limit the water loss to my property?

Remember it's your duty to limit any damage to your property. Turn off the water as soon as you can, even before a plumber shows up. Move personal property out of harm's way if possible. Clean the water up and get rid of any wet material. Mold will grow with darkness, stagnant air and moisture. In some cases cutting out the drywall and removing baseboards might need to be done to get air into the wall cavities. Any damage caused, to limit damage is covered.

Will my insurance cover mold damage?

Most insurance policies limit or exclude mold damage. It’s important that you protect your property from further harm. Getting rid of the wet building materials and running fans will slow if not stop the growth of mold. In the event your water loss took place slowly over time and you did not know about it or you were gone while the water was running and mold grew, your covered. You should be clear that in this instance the loss is not mold but still water related and still covered. Many times policyholders freak out when they see mold and want to focus on the mold. Your insurance company will not correct you. They will allow it to be labeled as a mold issue and limit your recovery money. Instead be the wiser, know that the event was a water loss that resulted in mold. In this case the wiser one will recover more of their insurance money benefits. Remember it's not your insurance companies job to educate or even help you get a better settlement. That’s what a public adjuster does. 


In some cases where policy limits are low the mold limitation can be used as well as the main policy. A good public adjuster will separate the cost for just mold treatment while labeling all the building materials as water damaged.

Should I talk to a public insurance adjuster?

A public adjuster will know quickly if your policy will cover water loss. Most insurance policies do but each policy is written differently. You should not assume anything neither should you simply trust your insurer. A good public adjuster should be in your list of important contacts. We will come to your home investigate the loss, give direction on what to do, and determine how to best use your insurance if the loss qualifies.

Pre loss public insurance adjuster contracts

The Claims Boss has a pre-loss program that affords policy holders to have their property and policy analyzed before disaster happens. This will give you the best results. Knowing what and how your insurance will cover before you have a loss is critical not to be surprised when you’re dealing with the shock of a disaster after the fact. Having your property policy and overall coverage needs discussed before a loss will always be the best way to buy and later use the product.